Faculty of Business & Law
MASTER OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FINANCE
BRAND AND BRAND VALUATION
FOR VIETNAMESE ENTERPRISES:
STUDENT: DANG HAI YEN
Student ID: 77090531
Dissertation Supervisor: PHAM XUAN HOAN
2010 - 2011
FACULTY OF BUSINESS AND LAW
MAITF VIETNAM ASSIGNMENT HAND-IN FORM
I certify by my signature that this is my own work. The work has not, in whole or part, been presented elsewhere for assessment. Where material has been used from other sources it has been properly acknowledged and referenced. If this statement is untrue I acknowledge that I will have committed an assessment offence.
Level of Study:
Master of Art in International Trade & Finance Supervisor:
Pham Xuan Hoan
Dang Hai Yen
Student Signature: _________________________________________ Date of Submission:
________________________________________ Name of first marker:
Name of second marker:
It can be said that building brand has been an urgent issue for Vietnamese enterprises and government. Although there are a lot of studies on brand valuation over the years but in Vietnam, the awareness of building and developing brands is currently still misunderstanding because of the lack of awareness about brand and its values, therefore, many firms neglected to manage this asset. Furthermore, regarding legal, brand equity protection in particular and intellectual property rights in general are still limited in Vietnamese companies as well as the coordination between them and relevant legal authorities. Besides, there has not any legal documents instructing enterprises to value brand and although the intellectual property law has a regulation on contributing money by patents, the valuation of brand has not been considered. The research will make contribution to raise the Vietnamese firms’ awareness of the importance of brand and brand valuation as well as reflect the existent problems relating to brand issues in legal system in the country. From then on, the paper will recommend some solutions to help Vietnamese enterprises develop and value their brand.
I would like to send my sincere thanks to Mr Pham Xuan Hoan, my enthusiastic supervisor because of his guides and feedbacks which are extremely hepful for me to write the dissertation.
I would also like to say my sincere thanks to research method module lecturer Steve Carter and dissertation module lecturer Otter, Dorron W who I really admire their advance background knowledge which are indispensable for me to complete the disseration..
Finally I would like to express my many thanks to the AOF’s international training project managers, my husband and daughter, my friends because of all support to me during the dissertation process.
table of contents
Chapter I: Introduction
Significance of study
Research Aim, Major Research Question
and Individual Research Objectives
The research aims
Major research questions
Chapter II: Literature Review
BRAND and BRAND VALUE
Understanding of the history of branding
The function of brand
Brand’s functions from Companies’ perspectives
The definition of brand valuation
The significance of raising
a company’s brand valuation
The need of valuing a brand
The benefit of brand valuation
APPROACHES TO BRAND...
References: 1. A Gee Bulletin (June 2000), “Current Practice in Brand Valuation”, Brand Finance plc
7. Article 4, Intellectual Property Law in Vietnam, no 50/500/QH11 on November 29, 2005
11. Barwise, (March 1993), Brand equity: Snark or Boojum? International Journal of Marketing Research 10.
14. Breally, R.A., and Meyers S.C., (1991), Principles of Corporate Finance, Fourth Edition, McGraw Hill, New York.
16. Barwise, P., Higson, C., Likierman, and A., Marsh, P. (1989), Accounting for Brands, The London Business School and The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, London.
17. Bernd H. Schmitt, David L. Rogers (2008), Handbook on Brand and Experience Management, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited and Edward Elgar Publishing Inc.
18. Chieng Fayrene Y.L., Goi Chai Lee, Research Journal (2011), Customer-based brand equity: A litterature Review, International Refereed Research Journal, Vol.II, issue 1, January 2011.
19. Ca Hao, “Trung Nguyen lai bi cuom ten mien tai Uc”(January 2010), http://www.tinmoi.vn/Trung-Nguyen-lai-bi-ldquocuomrdquo-ten-mien-tai-Uc-08102855.html
25. Derrick Daye (August 14, 2006), History of Branding, http://www.brandingstrategyinsider.com/2006/08/history_of_bran.html
29. Difficulties on valuation of intagible assets, Business Environment News-letter (No 2, June 2004)
31. Juergen H.Daum, Heidelberg, (November 2001) “Value Drivers Intangible Assets – Do We Need a New Approach to Financial and Management Accounting?”, A Blueprint for an Improved Management System, www.juergendaum.com.
32. Lev, Baruch, (2001), “Intangibles: Management, Measurement, and Reporting”, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, D.C.
33. Antonia Oprita, (March 2011), “And the World’s most valuable brand is...”, http://www.cnbc.com/id/42180604/And_the_World_s_Most_Valuable_Brand_Is%E2%80%A6
35. Fidaus Ibrahim (Feb 2011), The History of Branding, http://www.brandinghistory.com/2011/02/the-history-of-branding/
42. Kamakura, W.A., and Russell, G.J., (1993), “Measuring Brand Value with Scanner Data”, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol 10 March, pp 9-22.
47. G C Beri (2006), Marketing Research, 3th edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Companies
49. Perceived Quality: Critical Asset For Brands, (May 31, 2009), http://www.brandingstrategyinsider.com/2009/05/perceived-quality-critical-asset-for-brands.html
53. Russell Abratt, Nova Southeastern University, Geoffrey Bick, University of the Witwatersrand (Jan 2003), Valuing Brands and Brand Equity: Methods and Processes.
54. Sophie Roberts, (February 2011), Brand valuation: the methodologies, Intellectual Property Magazine.
55. Kevin Thompson, (Jan 6, 2007), Advantages and disadvantages of historical cost accounting, http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/110085/advantages_and_disadvantages_of_historical.html?cat=3
62. The 100 Top Brands, The Global Brand Scoreboard, August 2, 2004, Business Week.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document